Proof that Grandpa Wallis indeed sailed with me: First of all, getting onto the plane from Brisbane to Proserpine, I am sitting in a middle seat with Trace to my right and an empty seat to my left. An elderly gentleman comes to sit down next to me in the aisle seat and as I'm adjusting in my seat to give him some room, I see that his hands are identical to Grandpa's. And granted I was twelve when Grandpa passed, but I remember those hands. And once we're in Airlie Beach, Keri, Trace and I sit at a bar where we discuss our life stories. Keri is in the U.S. Navy. And was stationed in California. Do you believe in coincidences? Because I don't. You may take this as just a "coincidence" but I like to think this was Grandpa's way of saying "hey girl, I'm right here with you!"
Now aside with my contact with the 'other side', the islands are amazing. Our Captain Chris told us stories underneath the stars of how he's been stuck in the middle of the ocean with an approaching hurricane and how he's made a hut on a Samoan island. Talk about intense! The two skippers, Gemma 1 & 2 were so entertaining. Gemma 1 is from Scotland and she knew so much about the islands and put up the sails with an effort from me and some volunteers. Gemma 2 a.k.a Duckie is a kiwi and is the craziest person I've met from NZ. She made delicious dinners for us and told us about Elvis the fish which we got to see when we snorkeled later that day.
The beaches, islands and wildlife are so indescribable! We saw so many dolphins and sea turtles, and on the last day on the Reef, I got to swim with a sea turtle! The scuba diving was great, the coral reefs tower over you and I felt like I was in an episode of Planet Earth. These reefs with colors so bright- orange, purple, pink, red, white. These are things humans were never supposed to see. Whoever invented the concept of scuba diving: thank you.
Airlie Beach
The hostel we stayed at in Airlies called Beaches
Welcome to Paradise
Me and my Navy girl, Keri!
Whitehaven Beach, softest & whitest sand in the world!
Lookout point down onto Whitehaven
Our boat, the British Defender a.k.a The Defy!
Getting ready to put up the sail on the grinders
Now you can understand why Grandpa Wallis loved the Whitsundays and that he alway's wanted that sail boat to throw out the anchor at Whitehaven beach and have a ice cold XXXX!.It brought back a flood of mermories,having the time of my life how cool it is that he was able to share the sea's with you and the crew.The weather looked great!! from the pic's doesn't look like much has changed and that's not a bad thing.I think I will sell the Harley's and spend a month in Airlies beach and recapture time long ago.And who know's just maybe I too will sail with my father once again among the beautiful Island's of Whitsunday's.Thank you Dad! for being with Justine.I MIss You and Love You.
ReplyDelete