Saturday, June 13, 2009

5 Interesting Things...

Being in a different country for over 4 months has brought me many changes. Some are quite a surprise, others are just confirmations in my values. This experience has given me some revelations and I believe that this change has brought many good things my way. So, some of these might shock you or maybe you'll just learn something new about me!

1. I really enjoy cooking-- I used to think cooking was okay, just another chore to do back home. But going out to shop for groceries in a different country has stretched my culinary abilities! One of my favorite dishes that I've made down here are cheesy potatoes and a chicken & mushroom pasta bake. So yes Mom, believe it or not, your daughter has a talent for cooking- and loves it!

2. I have a new found appreciation for a CLEAN house-- Okay, so a couple dirty dishes in the sink doesn't bother me much but when the floor has not been mopped for months, the dirty dishes sit in the sink for days, and there are particles of dirt clearly visible on the carpet then we have a problem! I admire a spotless kitchen, makes it SO much easier to cook on! My landlady cannot seem to grasp the concept of cleanliness!

3. Age is just a number to me now-- I used to think, "Wow, seniors in college seem so old! I could never hang out with them!" And now, it's like big deal! The group of amazing friends that I've made down here (and I mean amazing) are all different ages and it doesn't bother me. Not one bit. Because in the end, we are all going through life together and if I'm not allowed to share a laugh with a 25-year-old just because he's 25 is a little ridiculous to me. I embrace friendships that are age-defying.

4. I will be content in any city I choose to live in-- Being in Australia and on my own, is not such a scary thing. In the beginning I had so much anxiety about coming here by myself. But everyone adjusts and if you're lucky, you'll meet lifelong friends like I did. No matter where I go after I graduate, I know where I'm at will bring me a positive experience. (P.S. I've always been an optimist, I've just found a new way to express it!)

5. My worries are insignificant now-- Okay, I admit. I tend to freak out when I'm stressed. I get overwhelmed at all the things I have to do back home. But here, I take time out and look at the problem and think, "Is it really that big of a deal?" And usually it's not, so I stop worrying and stop thinking about it. In the end, I feel so much better, just having fun while keeping my responsibilities intact. No matter what the current issue is for you- just take a deep breath, close your eyes, and let it go! Just blow it all away. Things work themselves out without stressing over the what-if's.

Hope that was insightful for you, I have discovered some interesting things in Aussie and when I see you again, just know I am not the same girl. I have been changed, for good!

5 comments:

  1. thats my girl! love u J

    LP

    ReplyDelete
  2. please teach my # 5. : ) can't wait to see you!
    - Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really nice comments Justine. I am sure you will treasure your Aussie visit for the rest of your life. And of course, you probably will go visit again. But....all your yankee friends will be so glad to have you home. I look forward to seeing you and listening to some of your experiences.
    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love this! You can do #1 and #2 all you want at home! Oops did I just say #1 and #2? Well I guess you know what I mean. I love you and have missed you so much. I can't wait for you to be back with us.

    Love ya-
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Justine. From reading your wonderfully well written insights it is clear that you have transformed into a richer and more worldly individual. You have been blessed with a new perspective. Be thankfull[ as I know you are] that your parents were so supportive and able to provide you with those intangibles, allowing you to grow into a remarkable woman!
    Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete