Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's All Downhill From Here

8 weeks. That's all I have left. 8 glorious more weeks of parrots in my backyard, walking past Mt. Warning on the way to uni, eating $12 steak at the Richmond Hotel, dancing it out at the Unibar every Thursday night, and living my double life as a faux-Aussie. Can this be real? Am I really past the "hump" of my study abroad experience? The thought of leaving Australia makes my heart hurt. Literally, it's giving me heartburn. All the amazing people I've met and the beautiful things I have seen and experienced-- I'm not ready to put that in the past. So I won't.

Not for now anyways.

Tomorrow will be a great day. Besides escaping the chatty landlady as I slide out the door to class and the outdoor education exam that I've been preparing for-- tomorrow will be glorious. It marks the start of my journey to the Whitsunday Islands. My accomplices Texas and Keri will join me as we sail for 2 days/2 nights among the British Defender maxi yacht. This is what Grandpa Wallis has been leading me to, I can feel it! I have been looking forward to this trip the most because I know he would be right there with me on that boat, basking in all its glory.

And truth is, he's probably gonna be at the Whitsundays ready to go sailing with me.

3 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that Grandpa Wallis is with you and I'm sure he will provide clear skies and the wind to your back.I can't wait to hear from you and your thoughts about that special part of Australia.My eye's welled up knowing that you to will walk the same streets and sail the same waters as I did with Grandpa 13yrs ago!
    Love You and Miss You Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to admit, that brought a tear to my eye as well. Yeah, grandpa will be on that boat for sure....tell him I love him will you! Hope your last 8 weeks will be as enjoyable as the first 8. Sounds like you've made some pretty awesome memories already.

    Love, Auntie Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you enjoyed the sailing trip as much as grandpa Wallis did so many years ago. Nice that you were able to experience sailing the sea as much as grandpa did. Hope you had "fair winds and following seas".
    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete